Saturday, September 19, 2009

Good Reads

I'm an avid reader and I recently realized that I rarely post about books on this blog. Why? I have no idea. But, here's an attempt to remedy that situation somewhat.

I've read a number of great books lately. Sometimes it seems like it's getting harder and harder to find really good books to read. The problem is that once you read a few really good books, it ruins all the average or mediocre books for you. I have to admit it - I've become a book snob. If a book isn't well written with interesting characters, universal themes and original story lines, then I don't want to waste my time on it. Oh yeah, and it has to have a happy ending. I don't mean that the entire book has to be sunshine and roses, some of my favorite books deal with death and tragedy, but it must end in an optimistic or inspiring way. And yes, good must triumph over evil and the hero/heroine must have upstanding moral values.

So, here are some of my favorites from the past few months:

Father Elijah by Michael D. O'Brien. This was the last book my book club picked before it kind of fell apart. We never did meet to discuss it and I really wish we had. What a fantastic book! An apocalyptic novel, it's an amazing story of faith and spiritual warfare. It's fascinating, page turning and really made me think. I highly recommend it.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer. I have to admit that I am usually very skeptical of books that are currently on the best seller list. Usually my idea of a good book and society's idea of a good book don't exactly mesh, know what I mean? But, another blogger recommended it, so I gave it a try. I loved it! I'm even planning on giving it to another book-loving relative as a Christmas gift. The book is set in post-WWII London and is centered around a writer who is writing a book on the Nazi occupation of the Channel Islands (in the English Channel between England and France. Don't worry, I had to look it up on the map, too.). It's a wonderful, funny, real, charming, heartbreaking, endearing, hopeful book.

The Lightning Thief by Rick Riordan. This book is the first in a series of young adult books called Percy Jackson and the Olympians and it's a romping good read. It's fast paced, exciting and incredibly creative. I plan to share this book and the rest of the series with my kids when they are a little older. The premise is that Percy Jackson is unknowingly the son of one of the ancient Greek gods. As a Hero, he goes on adventures to save Western Civilization from destruction. If you like Harry Potter, you'll love this series.

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day by Winifred Watson. This novel was written and is set in pre-WWII London and is centered around the middle-aged, down-on-her-luck Miss Pettigrew who has one sparkling, exciting, life-changing day. This short book is fun and sweet and clever and I guarantee you will have a smile on your face when you finish it. Be sure to check out the movie after you read the novel; it's very well done.

So, there you have it. If you decide to read any of these books, please let me know. I'd love to hear what you think of them!

2 comments:

Jill said...

My best friend here, Deborah, comes from Jersey! She's always talking about Guernsey and Jersey. :) When they were first moving here and there was an announcement in the class last year that a new girl was coming from Jersey I was like, "Oh neat. Aslynn will have another American in her class." The only Jersey I knew previously was New Jersey!
Anyway, I'll have to read that one!!

I, too, have been reading like crazy and was just thinking today that I should put up my list of books I'm reading. I have to get a moment of time to do that tomorrow.

Cuddle up with your belly and a good book today. :)

Colleen said...

Jill -
I'd love to see you list! I'm always on the lookout for a good book.

And, I'm definitely going to take you advice tonight. Cuddling up with my belly and a good book sounds like a great idea!