Tuesday, December 20, 2011

For the love

2011 11 26_7711_edited-1

My mother-in-law is a fabulous gardener. When Eric and I married I had very little knowledge of flower gardening, but I had a deep love of flowers. Over the years, I slowly gleaned some of my mother-in-laws gardening wisdom from a five-minute conversation here, a casually dropped comment there. My efforts in my own garden haven't been nearly as fruitful as Debbie's, but it's a fun hobby and a common interest that has led to a true friendship with my mother-in-law.

2011 11 26_7705_edited-1

The love of flowers is not the only motivation I have to garden. I also have a real passion for photographing them. I love taking pictures of my kids, but nothing fires up my creativity like a patch of flowers, beautiful evening light, and a few minutes of quiet with no other companion than my camera and my 50mm lens. I get lost in the beauty of God's creation and minutes fly by.

2011 11 26_7739_edited-1

Flowers also trigger strong memories for me. When we brought Jonathan home from the hospital our deep pink azaleas were in full bloom; with Elizabeth it was the pale yellow day lilies. A pansy always makes me think of Eric's grandmother who had a particular love for them. And, the flower that I will always associate with my mother-in-law is the zinnia.

Something pretty

Debbie grows them every year and in abundance. She has a long narrow border along a path up to my father-in-law's shop and it is always full to bursting with zinnias. Ever since I got my camera, about three and a half years ago, I've been longing to photograph her flowers. But, we always seemed to be there two early in the season or after the blooms we're dried up and left to make seeds for next year's garden or there was a season when her zinnias just didn't come up very well at all.

2011 11 26_7714_edited-1

But--but!--this year they were still going strong at Thanksgiving when we were in Eric's hometown for the holiday. Add in some beautiful, fall, late-afternoon light and I was in photographer's heaven.

Splashes of color

For years I've had a plan to take pictures of Debbie's zinnias and frame a collage of them for her birthday. Finally, this year, I'll be able to do it!

2 comments:

Christine said...

So lovely! Just what I needed on this gray winter day. Thank you

Jill said...

I love the fourth photo. The way the sun is shining is beautiful. And I really like that angle. Most flower shots I see are from the top looking down at the blooms. I like the idea of a side look at the flowers where you can see the stems as well.

It's funny. Although you and I are twins is many ways, I was just thinking the other day to myself about my very favorite things to take pictures of. And even though I appreciate the beauty of flowers I was thinking I probably would never find too much excitement in photographing flowers. Capturing expressions and actions and every day life is where my excitement level kicks in.
But, I do like looking at your beautiful flower photos! :)