Wednesday, January 2, 2008

New Year's Resolutions

I know that I have done New Year's resolutions in the past, but to be honest, I don't remember a single one. There has only been a few times that I have actually written them down and even when I did, I could never remember where I put them. It's pretty hard to be held accountable when you don't remember to what you are holding yourself accountable. But, this year, I have a blog. So, now I can write them down and I won't be able to lose them!

1. I will not be so hard on myself. I tend to get down on myself about the cleanliness/tidiness of my house, children, self, etc. But, I am finally recognizing that much of it is a result of my state in life. I can't expect a perfectly clean house while there are three small children living in it. I am not a failure as a housewife if there are toys all over the place and perpetual piles of laundry that never seem to get completely put away or if I only rarely "do" my hair. I need to get better at recognizing the truth of this situation on a daily basis.

2. I will trust more in God. I've been having some struggles with prayer lately and I think it all boils down to not trusting in God and His plan for my life. I have allowed irrational fear to control me at times and it makes life miserable. I need to let go and let God.

3. I need to reduce the clutter in my home. This resolution may seem in conflict with my first one. But, to keep untidiness from overwhelming me, I need to set up some systems to help control clutter. Right now, everything does not have a place. I need to create places for everything to go, which will take some planning and buying storage and organizational supplies. I also plan to purge the house of anything that is not longer being used or unnecessary.

I truly hope that this time next year I will read over these resolutions again with a smile on my face because I have made significant progress in each one of these areas. I have a lot of work to do, but it is exciting to think how much more peaceful life will be if I meet these goals.

What are your New Year's resolutions?

No comments: