I didn't think much about it at the time, but since then I've been thinking about it a lot. You see, that is not my normal answer. Normally I say I'm 5'11" (I'm actually like 5'11-7/8" or something like that. Just a smidgen under six foot). I guess it's because I've always tried to minimize my height.
I've been tall from the get-go. I was 22" long at birth and never looked back. Being a tall child has it's advantages and disadvantages.
- Can always reach the top shelf in the kitchen
- Can help little old ladies get things off the top shelf at the grocery store
- Never need assistance getting things off the high racks in department stores
- Playing basketball
- Taller than all my friends (by a least a head)
- Started being taller than my teachers in 4th grade
- Looked older so I was expected to act older
- Clothes shopping was difficult to say the least and at times would end with me in tears
- Taller than all the boys when that started to matter
- Gangly and awkward
- Stuck out in a crowd
I'm also finally recognizing some additional advantages to being tall:
- Lots of room to carry babies. I'm always complimented on my cute, round, pregnant belly.
- Putting on five (or ten) pounds isn't as obvious cause there's lots of room to spread it around.
- I'm able to utilize my upper cabinets to the max (okay, that one is kind of a repeat).
- Many clothes styles are most flattering on a tall figure.
- I can always see over people and never miss out on any of the action at mass.
- I'm the only one who can see how dirty the top of my refrigerator is.