Saturday, February 23, 2008

A bouquet of tulips

Friday was a beautiful sunny day. The kind of day where if a mommy didn't take her kiddos outside, she should be arrested. So, I plopped Gustin in the stroller and Elizabeth hopped on her tricycle and off we went around the block. As we were walking along, I noticed something that made me stop short. There in one of my neighbor's flower beds were some absolutely breathtaking tulips. I don't know what it is about tulips. They are just so beautiful and perfect. And, while they are gorgeous in flower arrangements and whatnot, they seem so much more spectacular when you come across them unexpectedly in a very mundane location. They didn't seem to belong on our suburban street in the flower bed of a very average house with a few weeds happily growing nearby. They seemed to be a gift of beauty sent directly from God because only He could create such perfection and stir such joy in my heart.

On another note, at times I've been feeling a little overwhelmed and down lately. Presidential election years are not my favorite. I detest all the ads and debates and mudslinging and promises that are impossible to keep and media attention on candidates that don't stand for one single thing that I believe in. I'm worried about who will be elected to lead our country in a few short months and the consequences that will follow over the next four years. There just seems to be so much evil and turmoil and misguided people in the world today. How will the faithful few possibly turn it all around?

And, then the Lord gives my spirits a boost with a small blessing such as those beautiful tulips. He's reminding me that He is always here, He will never abandon us. He may not be obvious. He won't be in the blaring TV ads or the multitude of political flyers in the mailbox or on the evening news. He isn't using fame or millions of dollars or celebrities to deliver his message. Instead He relies on the simple beauties of life to remind us that He is always here, He loves us, He will help us overcome any trial and survive any dark times.

So, today I will try to be a bouquet of tulips in someone else's life. Today I will focus on being a mirror of God's love, shining like into the darkness. Maybe today I can help change the world.

7 comments:

Jill said...

Beautiful post. Back when I lived in Iowa there was a town called Pella that had a tulip festival every spring. It was gorgeous.
I'm glad you enjoyed the day...I too think it is almost a crime to not soak up rays on beautiful sunny days with the kids!

Christine said...

I love tulips too. Sounds like a beautiful day. Thanks for sharing.

Lael said...

Hi Colleen,

I don't remember if we ever met at A&M or St. Mary's, but I've enjoyed reading your blog for a while (via Smithflections).

I really like this post. I feel the same way about all the political stuff - especially after hearing of people at our church that are thinking about voting for what some call "history making" reasons instead of the issues. I think I'll take our kids for a walk today - and look for some tulips!

Colleen said...

Lael,
I'm not sure if we met either, but Eric and I did an academic bible study with Brad and Lillian for a while. It's nice to "meet" you!

Colleen

Tracy said...

what a nice post.. I know your feelings about the election stuff, it really bums me out!

Jody said...

Oh, I love tulips! They are about the only flower I can grow (I do not have green thumbs :)).

This is a great post. You just never know how your thoughts, words and/or actions will effect a person. Usually it is the little things that mean the most to people and the feelings of "I'm not alone." I'm sure you have already changed the world for the better and will continue to do so.

Colleen said...

Thank you, Jody. What a nice thing to say!