Thursday, February 21, 2008

Spring has sprung!

I know it seems early, it does to me too, even for Texas. When I started noticing a few trees blooming a week or two ago I was in denial. Surely those trees were confused and they didn't really mean to be blooming. I mean, a tree across the street from our house just had its leaves turn yellow and fall about a month ago. Nature doesn't seem to know what season it is. But, the more I look, the more nature keeps telling me that spring is indeed here.

Bushes are blooming everywhere as are the red buds, magnolias (the ones with the lavender blooms, they're really pretty) and my azaleas.
The trees are also starting to leaf out and I'm sure our car will soon be covered in dusty, yellow pine pollen.

We're still enjoying the produce of our "winter" garden (I use that word in the loosest sense of the term). My fingers are itching to get our "real" garden put in, but its really too early for that. Eric bought a couple of tomato plants last weekend. We planted them in containers so we can bring them in if it gets cold. They even already have blooms on them!
We've got a rainy day ahead of us here today. I guess in this part of the world it's February showers bring spring flowers. But, that doesn't have quite the right ring to it, does it?

1 comment:

Jill said...

Texas must be a great place to live. Thanks for the lovely images of spring!