Wednesday, February 27, 2008

New favorite book

We have a new favorite book Dr. Suess book in our house. It is Horton Hears a Who. Somehow I missed this one in my childhood, or at least I don't remember it. But, it really is a sweet book and has a surprisingly pro-life message, though I don't know if that is what Dr. Suess was intending.

Horton Hears a Who is a story about Horton the elephant who discovers a tiny people called Whos that are too small to be seen and live on a speck of dust. Horton can hear their little voices, but none of the other animals can and they ridicule Horton for believing in their existence and try to destroy the speck of dust and all of the Whos. Horton tries over and over again to prove to the other animals that the Whos truly do exist and tells them repeatedly that, "A person's a person, no matter how small." You'll have to read the book to see if Horton can save the day!

But, I love Horton's mantra, "A person's a person, no matter how small." How I wish our world could learn the truth of that message!

The other day I saw a trailer on TV for a new movie of Horton Hears a Who. It has some big name stars and I hope the movie makers are true to the message of the book. We'll have to wait and see.

No comments: