Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Sharing my loves

I love being able to share things that I loved in childhood with my kids. Usually that manifests itself in movies and books. My kids are too young for many of my most favorite books (Anne of Green Gables, The Secret Garden, Little Women, all the Jane Austen novels, etc) and I'm having to hold myself back so I don't introduce them too early and bore them.

But, I have been able to show them some of my favorite movies. The boys don't seem to appreciate them quite as much (no surprise!), but Elizabeth loves them! She's seen Annie, Mary Poppins (the boys actually liked this one), The Wizard of Oz and even The Sound of Music. Yes, she sat through all of Sound of Music (we watched it a little bit at a time over several days) and loved it! What I love even more is that she loves the music. I downloaded the sound tracks to many of the movies on my iPod and we would listen to them on our half hour long drives to and from the school (not a half hour anymore, though! Yeah!). She sings and sings and sings along to all my favorite childhood songs. Some of her favorites are My Favorite Things (she calls it Raindrops on Roses), Tomorrow and Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious.

But, she is not the only one who sings. When he was about 21 months old or so, Gustin started to sing along with the music, too. It was so cute! "Momorrow, momorrow, ell-ah, momorrow... AH-WAY!!!!" (Tomorrow, tomorrow, I love ya, tomorrow, you're only a day away.) He would even sing to himself while he played or in his crib he would sing himself to sleep.

Such precious, precious memories. Isn't it wonderful to be able to share our loves with our children?

No comments: