Thursday, May 22, 2008

I think it's time to get a bigger bed

This is where Gustin sleeps every night. (Please ignore the mismatched sheets and pillow cases!) You see those 8 1/2 inches of bed to the right of Gustin? That's where I sleep.
I try to get him to sleep in his crib. Last night I tried five times before I finally gave up. Between my limited sleeping space and Gustin still waking up between one and four times a night, I haven't gotten a good night's sleep in, oh ... say... about a year. :) Is it too much to ask for a one year old to sleep for at least a couple of hours each night in his own bed?

When I took this picture last night, Eric asked me if it was going to be a blog post. I said only if I can make it not sound gripey (I guess that's not a real word because spell check doesn't know how to spell it). I don't know if I've succeeded, but I just needed a chance to miserate (again, not a real word) or commiserate or vent or whatever you want to call it.

Thanks for listening.

4 comments:

Jody said...

Colleen you are a great mom! I can tell by your posts. Being a mom is wonderful but sometimes it is challenging and 'letting it out' is ok. If you can't tell friends whats on your mind or how you are feeling, who can you tell? I don't think you are being gripey you are just telling it like it is. It is not fun all of the time but we deal with it and we get through it. And we love what we do! Sometimes we just need to hear from other moms "I hear you. I know what you are going through. I'm praying. and I'm thinking about you."

And no it is not too much to ask for a one year old to sleep in his own bed all night long. :) Praying that it gets better for you soon. Take care!

Colleen said...

Thank you, Jody!!

"I hear you. I know what you are going through. I'm praying. and I'm thinking about you."

That is exactly what needed to hear!

Lillian said...

We upgraded to a king size bed before Anna was born and it was the best thing we ever did. It can EASILY hold two parents and a todler and an older sibling during thunderstorms.

Even after toddler moves out, the extra room is always nice when you're pregnant.

Hope you're able to catch some zzz's or a mid-day nap.

Christine said...

I love this picture! And I remember those 7 1/2 inches from Clare - who used to take up so much of our bed. I used to find myself pressed up against the bed rail.

It's crazy thinking that that time with Clare has passed. I used to think it never would. (Maybe I'll be back to that with our next baby some day...)

Gregory doesn't like to sleep with me - which part of me loves and part of me is sad about.

Thank you for sharing - I don't think you're at all gripey - it is definitely something moms deal with, and part of your life, so it's good to hear about. :)