Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Rainy day

We're back from a great trip to see my parents. We had a great time and, believe it or not, it wasn't even hot! My hometown even got the best rain they've had all year while we were there. It was wonderful!

On the drive home, we dropped Jonathan and Elizabeth off at Eric's parents' house and they are going to stay for the week. They were so excited and had the biggest smiles possible on their faces as they waved good-bye to us as we pulled out of the driveway. It's hard to cry about leaving them when they are so incredibly happy!

So, today is just me and Gustin. And the rain. Tropical storm Edouard has made his appearance so we'll be staying indoors and watching the weather.

It's funny because I feel like I've been transported back in time about 5 years to when Jonathan was a year old. Back to the time when it was just him and me all day long. It's wonderful to be able to give Gustin some good one-on-one time like Jonathan got, but it's also lonelier and much quieter around here than I am used to. Oh, I miss my big kids already! But I'm not. going. to. cry. Even though the day is wet and gray and far too quiet...

I better go grab Gustin and get a big dose of his smiles to chase away these blues that are coming on. Have a wonderful day, everyone!

3 comments:

Lillian said...

LOL!! Colleen, I'm the same way!! I always look forward to VBS or music camps, etc. because I think I'm going to enjoy the quietness and one-on-one time w/ the baby. But I end up missing the older ones and waiting for the week to hurry by!! What funny creatures we are!!

I'm sure Gustin misses them just as much as you do! Nonetheless, enjoy your week with Gustin & Eric!!

Jill said...

It's funny. I got a twinge of jealously reading this because our families are so far away right now and my kids don't get to have time at the grandparents' houses anymore. But, I know I would be just like you and missing them terribly! So, maybe I'm lucky. ;)

Try to enjoy the Gustin/Mommy time!!

Colleen said...

Jill,
I know what you mean. We have no family nearby and the kids only go to their grandparents' house about once a year. I'm always a bit jealous of people who have family nearby. The idea of going over to the grandparents' house for dinner and, of course, the free babysitting sound so wonderful. Just last night I was telling Eric how great this week would be, I'd get so much done, once the house was picked up it would stay picked up, the time with Gustin will be great, etc. And all those things are true, but I really miss the big kids. It just doesn't feel right without them here. I'm trying to enjoy the perks this week and not try to think too much about how I miss them. Even though it's hard, I think this week will be good for all of us.